Freelancing has become a popular choice for many people in recent years. It's exciting, because you have the freedom to decide what type of work you want to take on and when.
However, freelancers need to be prepared for anything that comes their way from drafting proposals and contracts, client onboarding and servicing, training, invoicing, following-up on payments, legal compliance...the list goes on.
The thing is no matter how organized you are there will always be tasks that fall through the cracks as your workload increases. So it's important to plan ahead with an effective project management system!
This article is going to go over the top ten project management softwares for freelancers and their features.
Monday is the best project management tool for freelancers because it features a range of capabilities including invoicing, project management, task lists and time tracking.
You can also create custom fields that fit your specific business needs such as creating checklists or tagging clients/projects with colors which makes organizing much easier.
Monday is an online web-based application so you aren't required to download anything which is a huge time saver. You can also create an account with your email or Facebook and Monday will automatically generate projects from your LinkedIn profile!
It helps you to create visual hierarchies with drag and drop which makes it easy to organize your work by breaking down tasks into smaller milestones. You can also create templates for recurring projects or use the calendar view to keep track of deadlines.
- Personalized dashboard for any profession
- Email and Facebook integration
- Checklists, notes & tags on every task/project
- Time tracking with screenshots
- Email reminders Custom fields
Bonsai is a project management tool that is designed specifically for freelancers. It has an intuitive interface with all the features you need to manage your projects, clients and team members.
Bonsai aims to take away some of the busy work involved in running your business so that you can concentrate on what matters most!
It comes with a built-in task list, time tracking and invoicing software. You can also create custom contracts for your clients to ensure that you are both protected from the get go!
It has a number of features that can save you time and money so it's definitely worth checking out!
- Affordable plans for solo freelancers and small teams
- Project management with task lists, time tracking & invoicing software
- Custom contracts built-in
- Timesheet approvals to reduce paperwork
HoneyBook is one of the most popular project management softwares for freelancers. It is an all-in-one software that has tons of features to help you manage your clients, proposals and invoices.
With HoneyBook you can easily create and send branded proposals and contracts while staying on top client tasks with automated alerts and notifications!
It's definitely a popular pick among creative professionals for having gorgeous dashboards where you can see your proposals, ongoing projects, invoices and time tracking all in one place.
- All-in-one project management software.
- Customize contract agreements with custom fields & tags.
- Automatic alerts to remind clients of payments due or overdue deadlines.
- User-friendly proposal templates to showcase your work in style!
Trello is best for project management for freelancers because it's easy to use and you can collaborate with your team members or clients.
Trello is an online collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards, lists of cards and task details.
It’s great if you want to avoid using another piece of software like Asana for managing tasks since the board/list/card system is all that you need to stay organized.
Trello boards can contain lists of cards which you can attach files to, add checklists and labels for organization.
The card system is great because it allows you to create a task list that everyone on the team or with your client can view so there aren't any misunderstandings!
- Collaboration features make it easy to use with clients
- Power-up feature lets you integrate third party apps into Trello boards
- Board repositories give you inspiration to customize your own boards
- Task snapshot makes it easy to see the status of tasks
- Task card lets you add and display more task details such as comments, attachments, deadlines, checklist etc.
Asana is one of the earliest project management softwares for freelancers and it's still going strong!
It has all of the features you need to manage projects effectively, including task lists, time tracking and invoicing.
It allows you to collaborate with your team members or clients so everyone is on the same page about what needs to be done in a certain timeframe.
Asana is great for planning your time and managing projects, however it doesn't have the same level of integrations with third party apps like Trello.
It's also not as compatible when you want to publish task lists on websites so if that functionality is important to you then Asana might not be right for you.
- Easily plans tasks, time & resources required for projects
- Board view lets you visualize your workload on one screen to avoid overloading yourself with work
- Team members can see the progress of a project and give quick responses/feedback so nothing falls through the cracks
- Customizable task fields and email reminders help everyone stay organized
Freshbooks is another popular project management software for freelancers. It has all of the features you need to ensure that your projects are running smoothly, including invoicing, contact management with notes on clients/projects etc!
Freshbooks is designed to help you manage your projects, send invoices and get paid efficiently. It produces better work, faster and keeps your business organized so you can get on with what matters most!
- Automatically creates professional-looking quotes based on current client information
- Create estimates that clients can approve before work begins so there are no misunderstandings about what will be done for the money being spent!
- Super easy to track time spent on projects so you know how much you can charge for your work!
Basecamp is the most popular project management software for freelancers because it's so customizable! It has all of your project management basics covered, including task lists but you can also customize every aspect of Basecamp to fit your business.
It’s great if you want complete control over how things are displayed and organized in your projects/client communication. However it might be a little overwhelming for people who like to stick with the basics and don't want anything fancy!
- Great communication tools that make it easy to stay in touch with clients or team members.
- Customizable interface lets you pick how things look and feel so Basecamp is suit your work style.
- Invoice generation, time tracking and file attachments help you keep all your work organized.
Wrike is another popular project management software for freelancers. It's great if you have a lot of projects to manage, since it lets you create an unlimited number of task lists and sub-tasks!
You can track everything related to your clients or work on Wrike, including comments & files.
It really is the ultimate platform for staying organized with all of your work. If you have a lot of ongoing projects then Wrike is definitely worth considering!
- Ability to create an unlimited number of task lists with as many sub-tasks as needed.
- Team members can easily keep track of the progress on every project and client.
- Integration with Google Drive, Box & Dropbox lets you upload files to Wrike directly from these services!
Podio is an online project management software that's great for freelancers who need to create a lot of different kinds of task lists.
It allows you to build custom workflows around your projects, which can be especially helpful if there are multiple people working on them or you have repeat clients. Podio has an easy-to-use interface so it doesn't take long to get started!
- Create workflows around your projects, to create a more efficient process for completing tasks and reaching goals.
- Combine data from different sources so you can get the big picture on how everything is working in your business!
- Reporting & analytics that show where your biggest project management problems are so you can fix them.
Project management is all about keeping things organized so you can be more efficient and productive with your time.
There are a lot of options out there, but finding one where everything just clicks shouldn't take forever! Take some time to explore each platform and find the one that will be easiest to adjust to.
Don't rush into a decision before you know what your business needs are and if the feature set is going to work for you!
Make sure you feel comfortable with the platform and it's easy to see your project management needs met. It is a helping tool that will keep you organized and motivated!