In today's digital world, how to start an ad agency is a question many people are asking themselves. The answer to how to start an ad agency is not as straightforward as it may seem. This blog post will go over some of the best tips for how to start an advertising agency that will help you get started on your new business venture!
Starting an Advertising Agency
In order to start an ad agency, you need a solid plan. Identify how much time and money you have available for the company's launch. You also want to outline how the business will be structured in terms of pricing tiers and the number of levels within your organization (i.e., how many employees). Additionally, make sure that any necessary licenses and permits are acquired.
Create a business plan for your advertising agency
"As the owner of an ad agency, how would you like to have more clients? Ad agencies are one of the most powerful marketing tools out there because they allow for a targeted approach. Targeting your customer is how your business will grow and succeed."
- How do I get started? First off, it's important to know that starting an advertising agency takes time and effort. You need access to resources like social media accounts with followers or other marketing channels so that potential customers can find you. It also helps if you're creative in designing ads that stand out on their own accord without being too loud
- What services does my ad agency offer? Your company may specialize in certain markets or products but at its core providing strategic communications is how advertising agencies make money. That means you will be creating a business plan which outlines how the company is going to maintain its competitive edge and what steps need to take place in order for that goal to be achieved
- Who are my target audience? As an advertiser, it's important not just to look at your customers as single individuals who have a particular demographic like race or age but also how they behave. And if possible, reach out to them through social media channels so you can build up their trust and create customer personas with specific needs. This way when someone visits your website, there will already be content tailor-made for them based on their interests
- What does my client typically pay me? The amount of money depends on how large a business you're targeting and how many potential customers are in that market. There's also the cost for creating ads, which varies depending on how much time and effort is put into it
Choose your pricing model
Choose how much control you want:
- Fixed Fee Agreements (recommended for one-time projects) e.g.: “I will do X task for Y budget within Z timeframe." This type of agreement gives the client full transparency about how much they need to pay upfront, sets clear expectations from both sides, and leaves the door open for future work if desired. The downside is that it limits how long an employee can work on a project because there's no room in the agreed-upon budget for additional work.
- Hourly Rates (recommended for ongoing projects) e.g.: “I will charge Y per hour." This type of agreement sets the price for how much you’ll be paid, and how many hours you can spend working with a client without running over budget. The downside is that it requires more transparency from both sides about how much time has been spent so far to avoid any confusion or unexpected expenses when an invoice is delivered at the end of the project.
- Percentage of Project Value (recommended for clients who want full control) e.g.: "The fee will depend on what value I provide during this project." A percentage-based approach offers some flexibility as long as your rates are competitive. The downside is that if you don't deliver, your client may not be satisfied and will have to start over with someone else who can provide what they need for the project.
Be updated in Ad Industry
As an aspiring ad agency owner, how do you keep up with industry events? The best way to stay updated is by subscribing to trade publications, blogs and podcasts geared toward the advertising business. This will help you keep up with trends happening in the industry including suppliers of products and technology as well as what's new on the market. It also provides plenty of reading material for when downtime hits during your journey to becoming a successful entrepreneur!
Join advertising industry trade associations
You can join one of the below trade associations to stay up-to-date on trends and technology, network with peers, and learn how you can enter awards contests.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies (AAAA)
- The Institute for Advanced Analytics in Marketing (IAAM)
- Interactive Advertising Bureau - USA (IAB)
This association is the primary trade organization for US agencies. AAAA members represent 95% of all domestic billings and $150 billion in annual billings worldwide. In addition to monthly meetings, seminars, and other educational and networking events, the AAAA offers a variety of awards for excellence in advertising.
- The Institute For Advanced Analytics In Marketing (IAAM)
This association helps members learn how to use data and analytics more effectively across marketing channels. Members can attend monthly webinars as well as annual conferences and trade shows for education opportunities and professional development.
- Interactive Advertising Bureau - USA (IAB)
This organization represents both online and mobile advertising. Members can attend monthly meetings, weekly webinars, annual conferences, and trade shows for education opportunities and professional development. The IAB also offers numerous awards to recognize excellence in interactive marketing communications.
Find clients for your advertising agency
Advertising agencies are looking for clients more than ever. The competition is tough, and it’s easy to feel lost or overwhelmed when you consider how many other advertising firms there are out there that want the same thing as you do: new business. But how can an agency attract a client? There's no one right way; however, it's worth considering how you can make an impression on potential prospects.
- One way is by networking at industry events and conferences. This will put you in front of people who might be interested in what you have to offer, as well as giving them the opportunity to meet with someone new.
- Another way is by reaching out to potential prospects. This means taking the time to find people who could be interested in what you have to offer and then reach out to them with a personalized message that explains how your agency can help their company grow.
- You might also want to consider advertising campaigns such as online ads, TV spots or radio spots.
- Finally, don't forget that you can also find clients by working with other agencies to provide them with services they need for their own company and then trading a percentage of your profits in return.
Build your contacts
Start by identifying the media outlets that are relevant to your industry, and which offer advertising opportunities for clients. These contacts may be referred to as sales representatives or buyers. Then find out their email addresses, phone numbers, and names from people in your company who do business with them on a regular basis. Finally, use these contact details to reach out and introduce yourself.
If you're a consultant and your target audience is primarily within the same industry, it's best to build contacts with other members of that community before branching out into new markets."
- The first step in building up media contact lists is identifying which outlets are relevant to your clients' needs.
- You'll need to start by looking for the contacts that are most relevant to your clients.
- The second step is finding out their email addresses, phone numbers and names from people in your company who do business with them on a regular basis.
- Finally, you'll want to use these contact details to reach out and introduce yourself."
Create an incredible website to sell your services
The ad agency website should be a place where people can come to and find out more about what an agency does. It is also important to create an easy-to-navigate user experience that will help visitors get the information they are looking for quickly and efficiently. In addition, it's best if you keep all of your services on one page so users don't have to scroll through pages just trying to find what they need. The navigation bar should also contain some quick links like "About Us" or "Services."
It’s typically not necessary for firms with only two or three employees (or even those who work remotely) to run their own business site—their portfolio sites may be enough in many cases, although this could vary depending on the type of work they do.
A portfolio site should include a short paragraph describing what you offer, with links to examples of your past work. A link to an online application form or contact form is also helpful as it will allow visitors to reach out straight away—although this may not be necessary if you operate exclusively in-person and have no need for additional clients.
If possible, provide information about how big your team is so that people can know what kind of feedback process they might face when working alongside you (e.g., are there multiple bids required?). You should also mention whether or not designers/developers who use different software than Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator are welcome--this way potential clients know if they have a chance to pitch their own ideas.
The blog should also be used as an educational resource for your readers—you can use it to share some of the best practices you've learned over time, and offer insights into trends in the industry. This will keep people coming back because they know there is always new content waiting for them!
Develop your own marketing plan to advertise your business
An example of a marketing plan could be to put your business card on the back of cups at coffee shops. By doing this you are putting yourself in front of customers that go into many different stores during one day, so it gives them more opportunities to see and learn about what you do with just one small action. Another idea would be posting flyers around town in various places such as public restrooms and libraries where people often visit looking for information or entertainment while they wait for their children's swim lesson.
There is no right way to advertise but there are some ways that can work better than others by understanding who your target customer is going to be before creating an ad campaign will help determine which ones may yield higher success rates when used correctly.
One of the most important components to a marketing plan is figuring out what channels can be used that will reach your target customer. The better you understand who they are, and what types of platforms they use on social media or in other forms of communication, the easier it will be to put together an appropriate message for them.
For example, if your business targets middle-aged women then Facebook would not be recommended because this particular segment rarely uses it as their main form of communication with brands; however Instagram might work great because many people from this demographic do have accounts there. Additionally targeting specific communities by demographics like age groups and location could also yield high success rates when choosing where to advertise depending on how large these segments are within the target market.
Benefits of starting an advertising agency
You may be wondering what the benefits of starting an advertising agency are. Read on to find out!
- You will have a platform for your ideas and creativity, which means you'll never run out of work as long as you keep generating new ideas.
- Advertising is one profession where it's not unusual to make over $100k in the first year alone from just your own business -- this can get even higher once clients start coming in too (the sky's the limit!).
- Earning potential: $110,000+ per year this is why so many people decide to leave their jobs and pursue owning their own company. There's no better feeling than being able to see progress like that with your efforts in the business.
- The types of advertising jobs are virtually limitless you can offer everything from a small marketing campaign to a full digital strategy for an established company or nonprofit.
Running an agency?
Clientvenue is an all-in-one client portal and client requests management software.Learn more