It’s true that many of us do not think about cleaning up our business. But what is the point in having a workspace if it is cluttered?
It’s important to have a tidy space where you can focus and work. You should spend your time working on projects, not searching for documents that are now out of date because they were never put away in the first place!
A cluttered desk is often an indication that people either do not know how to file properly or just don’t care.
It also can be an indication of stress, which will not help you work more efficiently and may even cause you to miss deadlines if the pressure becomes too much!
Types of Clutter
There are two common types of clutter that hinder your work. The first type is the one that is physical. Paperwork everywhere, folders all over your desk and you can’t see your keyboard because of it!
This simply has to stop if you want to be productive at work. It may seem like a big task but once you start by filing away what needs to go in the correct file (and throwing away the ones which are no longer needed), you’ll find there isn’t nearly as much to do as thought.
The other type of clutter is digital and it can be just as troublesome. Emails, documents, spreadsheets are all filling up your computer screen so that nothing else gets done!
It may seem like a good idea to leave all of the emails you receive in your inbox for later, but it is actually one of the worst ideas that anyone can have! How are you supposed to know what needs doing if nothing else stands out?
It’s time to clear up both types of clutter so that you can start being more productive at work.
Dealing with clutter can be tough, but it is definitely worth the benefits! Taking some time to clean up will not only make you feel better about yourself but also improve your work performance and productivity in the long run.
How to declutter your workspace
- Take a few minutes to straighten out your desk before you start working. Put away any unnecessary items, such as pens that are running low on ink or post-it notes with very little left of the sticky part.
- It’s important to make sure everything is in its rightful place so when you need something during your workday you’re not wasting time looking for it.
- Use a calendar or planner to keep track of upcoming deadlines and project plans, then write them down on your desk in large letters so they are easy to see when sitting at your desk. This will make sure that the most important things don’t get overlooked during busy days!
- When you are finished with a project or assignment, file it away in its proper place. Don’t just shove it to the back of your desk drawer because eventually there will be so many papers that they won’t all fit and you’ll have no space for new documents! Taking five minutes every couple of weeks to file away completed projects will save you a lot of time and stress.
- Make sure your phone doesn’t become a nuisance by keeping it on silent so if someone calls, you can still focus on your current project. Answering the phone every five minutes only wastes time which could be spent more productively completing tasks!
- If there is a lot of paperwork, perhaps it’s best to purchase an inbox tray for incoming documents so that they are kept together in one place and easy to find when needed.
- Clean out your inbox every day so that you don’t have to deal with hundreds of messages at once. This will also help keep track of deadlines and other important information!
- Use the “delete” button on emails that are no longer needed or relevant! You can always search for them if they ever become important again.
- Take the time to schedule some “me” time during your workday so that you can recharge and come back with fresh ideas! This will also help prevent burnout which is often caused by stress at work.
Emotional Clutter can also lead to poor work performance if not dealt with. Clutter in your mind becomes a distraction which can make it difficult for you to focus on the task at hand.
It is important that you learn how to organize your thoughts so things are much less overwhelming!
Decluttering your mind is a similar process to decluttering your workspace. It requires taking some time out of your day and organizing things in an efficient, productive manner!
- Take five minutes each morning to write down everything that you need to get done during the workday so it doesn’t stress you out at the last minute. This will also help you figure out what is most important!
- Try to avoid scrolling through social media during the morning or day if you find yourself feeling anxious before work. It is important to start your day with a positive mindset so that you can focus on what needs to be done and not become overwhelmed!
- If this means turning off your cell phone for a few hours, then do it! You’ll feel much better when you finally do log on to social media at lunch.
- When something is bothering you, write it down in a journal rather than keeping the feelings inside your head! This way they don’t get bottled up and seem larger than what they actually are.
- You can always talk things over with a loved one if writing them down doesn’t help ease any stress.
- Do something positive for yourself, whether it is taking a walk outside during your lunch break or buying that new book you have been wanting to read!
- This will make you feel better about yourself and also provide inspiration at the end of the day when things start feeling overwhelming again.
- Clean up your home or workspace when you are feeling down! Sometimes it is best to take a break from work and try something new. This will help keep things fresh for when you do get back to work, hopefully with some creative solutions!
- Make sure that family members know not to bother you during certain hours of the day unless there is an emergency! This will ensure that your work gets completed on time, which is beneficial for everyone.
- Try to avoid multitasking as much as possible because it can often lead to mistakes and make you feel overwhelmed at the end of a long day when there’s still more work ahead! Focus on one task at a time so that you can accomplish all of the goals you set out for yourself!
- Find a work environment that is comfortable so that you are not distracted by things like background noise or uncomfortable chairs.
- This will allow your mind to focus on what needs to be done rather than being anxious about whether or not there’s enough room in your cubicle for another stack of documents!
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Sometimes the best thing you can do is delegate your responsibilities so that someone else can take on some of the workloads and provide fresh ideas as well.
Benefits of Cleaning Up Your Business
The benefits of having a clean business are plentiful but it all comes down to staying motivated and following through with what needs to be done.
1. Creates a better impression for clients and customers by offering a neat place to work. Clients will also feel more at ease when dealing with your business because of the professional appearance that it holds.
2. Delegating responsibilities can help with stress levels because there’s only so much that one person can accomplish in a day. You will feel less burdened when you know that others are helping out with the day to work.
3. Being more productive is something everyone wants and a clean business will make it easier for you to get your job done without distractions! A clutter-free mind makes it much easier to be creative and come up with wonderful ideas.
4. Less time wasted looking for materials or misplaced items means that you can spend less time worrying about things you cannot control and more time on what needs to be done! If something is missing you can always go out and purchase it so there is no reason to worry about misplacing things.
5. More room for storage means that your business will not only look better but also be able to hold more items without looking cluttered! This frees up time because the less clutter, the faster everything gets put away.
6. Offers a more peaceful work environment which can help your mind stay focused on what needs to be done. A cluttered space is distracting and makes it difficult to complete goals in a timely manner!
7. When you are organized, there’s less of a chance that something will be misplaced or forgotten about when an unexpected event occurs. This way everything stays where it should be and nothing is forgotten about.
8. It is easier to stay motivated when you can see everything that needs to be done in an organized manner! This makes it so much easier to prioritize what needs your focus because there aren’t any distractions or piles of paperwork getting in your way. You are free to work with a clear mind and accomplish all of your goals!
Cleaning up your business may seem a trivial topic when there are so many other things that you need to focus on but when your business is organized and clutter-free, it will be much easier for you to accomplish all of the goals set out.
You will be astonished by how much more productive you become when your mind is clear and distractions are at a minimum! So start cleaning up your business today and see how amazing it feels to accomplish more than you ever thought possible!